Making Progress in the Nursery

18 Mar

So … remember back  in December when Don and I became parents with 12 hours notice? Yeah, it’s kind-of hard to forget. Anyway, we didn’t have much of nursery to speak of then. We had a room that had been painted yellow with a nice light fixture. Oh – and I stenciled some walls. But that was pretty much the extent of it.

Fast forward three months and I’d say the nursery is about 90 percent done.

Here’s a rough outline of work needed in the room:

  • Get a crib
  • Copy this look for a shelf / changing table
  • Decide if more stencil is needed on additional walls
  • Make custom roman blinds
  • Sew some pillow covers
  • Buy a rug
  • Get some containers for blankets, toys and dirty clothes
  • Make some custom art
  • Figure out the best way to use the walk-in closet as baby storage and a linen closet
  • Remove baseboards around bed in order to make the trundle bed flush against the wall (and in order to be able to close the closet door)
  • Find a storage unit for under the crib since this one is no longer available


And here’s a look at where we are:

  • Get a crib
  • Copy this look for a shelf / changing table
  • Decide if more stencil is needed on additional walls (The answer was, “yes.”)
  • Make custom roman blinds  (Still need to add black-out lining)
  • Sew some pillow covers
  • Buy a rug
  • Get some containers for blankets, toys and dirty clothes
  • Make some custom art (We ended up with one typography print mounted on wood, one piece of paper art mounted on canvas, a tissue paper pom pom piece, a scrapbook paper baby bunting / flag banner and a couple of smaller items)
  • Figure out the best way to use the walk-in closet as baby storage and a linen closet
  • Remove baseboards around bed in order to make the trundle bed flush against the wall (and in order to be able to close the closet door)
  • Find a storage unit for under the crib since this one is no longer available

In this picture you can see a whole bunch of projects:

Three of our large custom art projects are visible in this picture (the typography print, the paper on canvas piece, the pom poms), one of our mini projects (a tin air freshener), a large yellow and gray clothes basket and my homemade air freshener. You can also see a huge basket of baby clothes that need to be laundered.

I will write up tutorials for these projects in more detail, but here’s a quick one for now.

Homemade Air Freshener 

I saw this great idea on Pinterest. While I was thinking about a container, I noticed that Don was sprinkling coffee grounds in the diaper pail in the The Bird’s room. Coffee grounds are a natural odor neutralizer. Great idea, Don.

You Will Need:

  • Coffee grounds, dried well (as not to promote mold)
  • Small tin container
  • Small piece of breathable fabric like tullle
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Glue or double sides tape

Instructions:

My container had a plastic insert for the lid so I popped it out. If yours has an all metal lid, you will need a rubber band and a ribbon.

Cut your scrapbook paper into a strip that will fit around your tin. Attach to tin with double-sided tape or glue.

Fill your tin with coffee grounds.

Place small piece of fabric over the top of the tin. If your lid was all metal, secure the fabric in place with a rubber band and top with a ribbon. If you had a lid with a plastic insert, put the lid without the plastic on top of the fabric.

That’s it. Give the tin a shake when the air is a little stale. Refill with fresh grounds from time to time.

2 Responses to “Making Progress in the Nursery”

  1. Don March 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

    “sprinkling coffee grounds in the diaper pail” Sounds so much more dignified than the more accurate “occasionally dumping the previous day’s filter basket into the pail” with a side order of “and sometimes not getting all of it in there, leaving behind the visual evidence of what I was doing.”

    As always, my better half makes me sound good.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

  1. DIY Air Freshener Made with Coffee Grounds* | Sweet Little Nest - March 26, 2013

    [...] Cut your scrapbook paper into a strip that will fit around your tin. Attach to tin with double-sided tape or glue. [...]

Leave a Reply